Monday, November 30, 2009

Jumpers

I know what they are doing, those people who jump from one thing to the next.
I know why they smoke
and I know why they drink.
I know why they stay up through the night
and why they sleep through the day.
I know why they eat.
I know why they run.
I know why they twitch in bed
and why their eyes won't meet yours.
I know what they are doing.

It lies in that first drag
and that last drought.
It lies in that first bite.
It lies in a sleep deprived mind,
in a fatigued body.
It lies in that split second when whatever it is carries them away.
They jump from one thing to the other
because they are trying to forget,
forget that they hate themselves.

Those people can't wait to
get where they're going,
forget where they were,
and leave where they are.
Never truly satisfied,
they jump from one thing to the next
searching for that one thing,
that can for a split second
erase their self-hate.
I know what they are doing.

1 comment:

  1. I know several people who are doing some dangerous jumping right now. This piece captures a lot of the feelings that I have, and I'm glad you wrote it.

    ReplyDelete

Followers