Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Story

Wow, I can't believe I only had one post this month. I attribute it to laziness. How come the times that we have the most free time are the times that we get the least done?

I just started reading the new Donald Miller book, A Million Miles and a Thousand Years, or something like that. I haven't gotten very far. Don talks about our stories, how they compare to the stories in the movies. Some producers wanted to make a movie based on one of his books, but they had to jazz it up because his book would be boring on the big screen. They told him people would start stabbing each other with plastic straws halfway through the movie. I wonder if my book would be boring on the big screen. I would wish it wouldn't.

My mentor Kara let me borrow the book (thanks Kevin and Kara). It made her and someone else she knew cry, but at different parts, and she wondered if/at what part it would make me cry. I cried within the first 20 pages. I don't think books usually do that. Usually the crying parts are at the end. It came from a simple sentence, but I don't exactly remember the wording. I think Don just asked if our stories were worth telling. All my life I have just wanted it to mean something, and now this simple question and the answer felt like no. It really wasn't that big of a deal. I think I have just been emotional lately and anything can set me off. I used to never cry. Now I feel like crying all the time. I think it is an expression of some unacknowledged longing. Maybe its a longing for a story.

2 comments:

  1. I can agree here. I often wonder what my story is worth. And sometimes it sucks. I can be pretty emotional at times as well. (I'm a guy. We're not supposed to cry, right?). I want my life to mean something, but I don't know that it ever will. There are too many stories in the world for someone to even care. However, my story is my story. It has a sentimental worth to me. And, of course, God values my story. My story wouldn't exist without Him. There would be too many gaps, and it would be a huge mess of senseless narrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're enjoying the book so far, and that it's impacting you. I'm thinking I should go get another copy and read it again with you -- maybe we could write posts on our thoughts about each chapter. Or we could message each other, if we don't want our thoughts out there for the whole wide world to read.

    @ Levi - guys can totally cry. You should read this book, too! I think you'd really like it.

    ReplyDelete

Followers